Friday, July 17, 2009

Weekly Happenings

This is very random, but since this is my journal, I wanted to write these down. Withink our first couple weeks here we realized that we were in a very different place:
1- The first week we were here we were driving down the hiqhway & looked off to the side and there was a random cow trotting along!! The poor thing looked terrified. Thankfully, the driver behind us pulled up behind it & put his flashers to direct other traffic around so the cow didn't end up as road kill (apparently this kinda thing happens a lot).
2- Within the first week in our apartment we caught (actually, my mom, thank heavens caught it) a scorpion in Logan's room!!! I was terrified. It was probably only 1 1/2 inches long, but it looked completely creepy. (I have thankfully been informed by numerous people that get stung by a scorpion does not require an ER visit or ambulance (unless its a giant black one), they say its like getting stung by a bee).
3-The next sunday we were walking through the hall at church when a man told this other man that he should probably take his diaper bag outside...we looked down & there was a scorpion hanging off the side of it!!
4- The next week I found a huge spider crawling up the wall in our bedroom (brent thankfully was home & squashed that one for me). I have been having nightmares about scorpions & spiders for the last few weeks & if Logan ever wakes up screaming I rush in there to make sure a scorpion or spider hasn't crawled into his bed & bit him.
4-In the mall parking lot we saw a snake writhing around on the backtop; Brent said it looked like part of it was run over because it wasn't moving too well. Sure enough when we came out, the snake was defenitely road kill!
5-Everyone says y'all all the time...sometimes I'm not sure it makes complete sense the way it's used but it does certainly simplify things when writing. I haven't quite been able to incorporate it into my speach yet.
6-People think that cold in the winter time is anything below 50 degrees. Someone told me the other day that it gets really cold here in the winter...not quite believing, I asked "how cold?" and she answered, "sometimes under 50 degrees & occasionally an ice storm will hit & it will be 30 degrees!" (I definitely think I'm gonna like the winters here; the bugs are another issue altogether though, ughhhh)!
7-It's true-everything is bigger here in Texas. People don't just fly normal sized flags here, they fly ones that seem as big as the building it's in front of. The butter container at the grocery store (not costco) was even bigger. Brent also thinks that the lanes here are bigger.
8-Everyone drives a truck (and now Brent really wants one). Logan loves it, b/c he points & tries to say truck every few seconds when we're driving around.


My little jailbird. I came into Logan's room one morning & found him like this. He wasn't stuck, he was just dangling his legs & kept reaching for his blankets & binky he always tosses out of the crip when he's bored.



Logan loves taking a bath with Daddy. One thing we love about our apartment is that it has a huge jetted tub in the master (however, the jets have been broken since we got here). They finally replaced the motor & Brent & Logan decided to test them out. There happened to be a little baby shampoo in the tub & it created tons of bubble. Logan had a blast to say the least & I just had to get a few pictures. Brent will probably kill me once he realized I posted these though!


Bookworm. Logan was really quite in his room one afternoon & I peeked in to see what he had gotten into. To my absolute surprise he was just sitting there surrounded by his books & was actually thumbing through one of them.

Last thing...we've finally given up bottles...yeahhhh!! My pediatrician has been on me since Logan turned one that I needed to get rid of bottles. But no one seemed to provide me with any convincing information of why I had to do that at 12 months!!! It's not like I put him to bed with a bottle in his crib (we are slightly dentally minded in our family & I know all about baby bottle caries). And there are plently of moms who nurse their babies until they are well beyond 12 months. I didn't see the need to make my baby grow up any more quickly than he had too; this was one of my last ways of snuggling with my little baby & he seems to enjoy his mommy time as well. But he's 19 months now (can't believe it) & we're finally settled here in San Antonio so I figured I'd go ahead & cut the bottles. We just went cold turkey on Monday. That day he was very upset that I was not giving him a bottle & he cried for almost an hour that night. I had to go in & calm him down & I think by that time he was so tired he just gave up & fell asleep. But that was it, he's been a champ the rest of the week & he goes right down (thank heavens). I think I need his nap time as much as he does to regain my sanity (& patience sometimes). Next comes the binky...that's not going to be for a while though! :)

2 comments:

Meredith said...

HAHA brent will definitely not be happy, but since when do the boys look at the blogs?!

Bella said...

Nice site, I have enjoyed the posts. I was having heartache over pulling the binky. My friend raved about the cut method, and all of the psychology behind it. There is a free site; www.bye-bye-binky.com -on dropping the binky. Very cool stuff, worked beautifully for my son. Four days later he did not want anything to do with his binky (his choice btw). I am also interested in others experiences with this method.... Bella