Saturday, November 22, 2008

Austin, Texas???


Last week we went to Austin, Texas to see if that might be a place we would consider moving and....we loved it (much to the dismay of our wonderful ohio friends). Over the last few years we've been discussing places that we would be willing or wanting to move to and Austin always seemed to come up even though neither of us have been there. The only connection we really had was that one of my friends while I was at the "U" was from there, but that's it. Brent started doing a lot of research online about the area & everything always looked really good, so we finally decided to just go out there & see if we actually like it. Here are some reasons we loved austin:

1. WEATHER (I know that this should probably not be #1 on my list, but it's less than 30 degress right now with wind chill & it's already snowed here in Columbus & I really just don't like to be COLD). While in Ausin, we roamed around in t-shirts & flip flops. I know it's not southern california weather, but that's ok with me, as long as it's not 30 degrees or less for 4 months out of the year & the sun is shining...I miss the sun!

2. The economy doesn't suck (well, as bad as it could).

3. Housing prices are much more reasonable & stable than southern california.

4. Great Schools

5. University of Texas? (I think this is a plus. We will always be buckeyes, but we've loved living in a community where everyone has "team spirit". Austin seems like they are into their Longhorns & I might be able to don burnt orange for a game or two. We figured our first baby was little brutus, our next one could be little bevo).

6. Temples are not too far away

7. Lots of outdoor recreational activies (there were lakes EVERYWHERE. I actually think they were just extensions of the Colorado River). And, because the weather is nice you can actually do these activities year round!!

8. I don't have to take a board exam to transfer my license!!!!!! (this is probably number one for me actually. I found out I would have to take the California board if we moved there since I've been practicing less than 5 years...NOT FUN).

So Brent is now continuing the tireless search of finding a job. Ideally, he'd love to get a job so we have some sort of paycheck & then we could start working on opening a practice at the first of next year after we get a better feel for the area. But until he finds something, we're staying put in Ohio.

Here were some cute pictures of Logan @ the hotel showing off his naked bottom!! Unfortunately, we were too busy getting a feel for the area we didn't take any pictures outside of the hotel!

3 comments:

Joell said...

I'm so glad you posted so much! it is so fun to see Logan he reminds me so much of Hudson! I love the nakey bum pictures! Too cute!

Alyssa Griffeth said...

YAHOO!!! I'm so glad you liked it! We would LOVE if you moved out here with us! We seriously LOVE LOVE LOVE Texas for all of the reasons mentioned, plus so much more. I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but the people are so nice too! Plus, Shannon and Kenny will probably be moving to Austin next year too! Can't hear what you guys decide to do!

Kenny, Shan, and Brookie said...

We love Austin too!! Check out Round Rock if you haven't already. We could go on and on about Texas after visiting. Good luck in the search. It would be really cool to end up in Texas together--now we just have to convert everyone else!
The pics are adorable!
Shannon